There’s nothing quite like taking a road trip in an RV. Whether you’re headed to somewhere nearby in the Puget Sound or somewhere across the country this summer, we at Villa Insurance Grop want you to get the most out of your travels.
But before we get to travel tips and how to find the best places to stay, we want to remind you about safety. As with any vehicle, maintenance is important. After all, even though you can hang out in your RV if it breaks down, who wants to spend their road trip on the side of the road? We encourage you to visit www.safeco.com and click on the “Insurance 101” tab. The “Consumer Tips” section has a wealth of information on RV safety.
With that said, it’s time to hit the road!
General travel tips
· Have a plan (and maps or a GPS). One of the reasons you’re traveling in an RV, no doubt, is for the adventure. But while the freedom to go wherever you want can be exciting, getting lost isn’t (at least for most people). You’ll cut down on frustration if you know where you’re headed.
· Pack the right things. We’ve all forgotten to pack something while going on vacation. And buying new items at your destination can add up. So make a packing list, and remember that it’s not all about clothes and toiletries. Don’t forget your favorite road music or DVDs to watch at night. And if you’ve got kids with you, be sure to pack games and other things to entertain them.
· But don’t pack everything. Of course, just because you have an RV doesn’t mean you should bring all of your possessions on vacation with you.
· Be prepared for anything. You should have a first-aid kit in the RV, as well as some tools for smaller repairs. And if you’re traveling a long distance, why not bring some local items from your hometown to give as gifts when you make new friends?
· Limit the driving. It’s tiring enough driving a car hundreds of miles a day, let alone an RV, so give yourself plenty of rest and don’t overdo the driving.
Want to bring your car?
Taking a car along with your RV can give you a lot more flexibility on your vacation. But it can also make the driving more stressful, so keep that in mind. According to towingworld.com, there are three main options to bring your car with you:
· A trailer: This of course, allows you to raise the car completely off the ground. They’re generally more expensive than other options, but keep wear and tear to a minimum for your car.
· A tow dolly: This lifts the front wheels of the car off the ground. They’re useful if you can’t tow your car with all four wheels down, and can be easily used for front-wheel drive vehicles without another device to make it towable.
· A tow bar: The most popular choice, because of its convenience. It’s the option with the least amount of equipment, and usually the least expensive; it also takes up less space than dollies and trailers. Note that not all cars can be towed with four wheels on the ground, so check your manufacturer’s recommendations.
Where to stay
If you’re looking for a campground or RV park, you’re in luck - there are seemingly endless options across the country. But how do you know which ones are good or safe? Plenty of online resources have information on various parks, including the ones below:
Wherever you stay, you’ll want to take some steps to prevent crime. RVs can be inviting targets for thieves, because they usually contain more valuables than cars. Always lock your doors when you’re away from the RV and keep valuables out of sight or locked away. If you’re parked for the night in a non-camping area, such as a parking lot, try to stay in a well-lit area and keep the door facing the light. Finally, try to make fuel or convenience store stops during the day, if possible.
You’ve got a summer full of fun ahead in your RV. We wish we were coming with you! Here’s hoping for smooth and safe travels.
And don’t forget, we can help you get the right insurance coverage for your RV (and everything else). Give us a call today at (888)708-4552!
Villa Insurance Group is a full service, independent agency representing multiple highly reputable insurance companies in order to tailor each customer's specific needs. We feature a wide array of personal insurance, business insurance, health and life insurance products. Our fundamentals ideals include providing quality insurance protection while saving customer's money. The product we offer our customer is peace of mind and our promise of protection supported by commitment of excellent service provided by an exceptional team.
It is our goal to help you secure the proper coverage you need at the competitive price that you want. If you need your autos, home, recreational vehicle, business or commercial autos insured, we can help you get the protection and peace of mind you are looking for.
Contact our office at (888) 708-4552 or email for a customized quote.