High school is full of defining moments for Seattle Area teens and one of the highlights for most is graduation.
However, this time of year often sees other, more tragic defining moments - serious car accidents involving teens who are distracted or even under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
At Villa Insurance Group, we want to help make this season one to celebrate for you and your teen. So, with the help of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, here are some tips that can keep your teen safe.
First, encourage your teen to follow these general safe-driving rules:
- Absolutely no alcohol
- Always use seat belts
- No cell phone use (including texting) while driving
Of course, special events such as prom and graduation often present special circumstances. There may be dinner with dates before the dance, and parties before or after either event. It’s a good idea to discuss your expectations well before each event, putting some guidelines into place before your teen heads out for the night. Here are some ideas:
- Make sure you know the itinerary of the evening, as well as who else will be with your teen. You should have contact information for everyone.
- Have a way to contact your teen at all times. You may want to require them to check in with you once or twice over the course of the evening.
- Set a curfew, whether they are coming back to your home or staying with a friend. If they are staying elsewhere, make sure the curfew will be enforced by a responsible adult.
- Discuss with your teen how to handle difficult situations, such as facing pressure to drink, or accepting a ride with someone who shouldn’t be driving. It’s a good idea to provide your child with money for a taxi just in case.
- Offer a “no-questions-asked” ride home, should they need one during the evening.
- If you’re worried about your teen driving, consider alternate transportation. A car service or limousine will provide a responsible, experienced adult driver. You also will be able to limit changes to the itinerary and contact the driver.
Graduation is a special time in a teen’s life. And just a little common sense will go a long way toward making sure your young adult is around to enjoy the other milestones that are sure to come.
From all of us at Villa Insurance Agency, congratulations to graduates! Have a safe grad night!
Villa Insurance Group is a full service, independent agency representing multiple highly reputable insurance companies in order to tailor each customer's specific needs. We feature a wide array of personal insurance, business insurance, health and life insurance products. Our fundamentals ideals include providing quality insurance protection while saving customer's money. The product we offer our customer is peace of mind and our promise of protection supported by commitment of excellent service provided by an exceptional team.
It is our goal to help you secure the proper coverage you need at the competitive price that you want. If you need your autos, home, recreational vehicle, business or commercial autos insured, we can help you get the protection and peace of mind you are looking for.
Contact our office at (888) 708-4552 or email for a customized quote.